Facials are wonderfully luxurious and can help improve your skin. But how exactly do they work? How does skincare in general work?
Understanding how facials work can help you know how you can benefit from them, as well as what different facials are good for. We’ll go over how skincare as a whole works first, and then dive into the realm of facials. If you ever have any specific questions, it’s best to contact an experienced professional, like the experts here at Intermountain Aesthetics MD Spa for personalized advice.
How Does Skincare Work?
You’ve probably seen articles talking about how humans don’t really need to shower or wash their hair or do skincare or anything. And yet, dermatologists – people who spend years of their life learning about skin – recommend skincare routines and products to their patients.
If experts who have dedicated years to learning about skin are recommending skincare, it’s probably something you should be paying attention to. After all, it’s common knowledge that you should wear sunscreen in order to protect yourself against sunburns, skin cancer, and more. People with fair skin are well aware of how easily they can burn, and it’s no secret that people who are vigilant about their skincare tend to look younger than those who aren’t.
But why is this? How does skincare even work?
We won’t bore you with extensive details and science talk. How skincare works depends on the product used, your skin type, and your environment. For instance, if you have dry skin, it needs extra help moisturizing itself.
- Cleaners work through removing things from the surface of your skin. Think makeup, sweat, dirt, and the like. There are many different cleansers with different ingredients to address specific needs. For instance, if you have acne, choosing a cleanser with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide can prevent future breakouts.
- Toners work by balancing your skin’s pH. Not everyone needs a toner, but if you’re like to tighten and tone your pores, you can give one a go.
- Exfoliants work by getting rid of dead skin cells. This can improve your skin’s texture and help prevent issues like acne.
- Serums work by giving your skin a concentrated dose of certain ingredients. Depending on your skincare concerns, different serums will work best for you. For instance, if you’re concerned about anti-aging, a retinol serum would be great. If your skin is very dry, a hyaluronic acid serum can provide it with extra moisture.
- Moisturizers work by locking moisture into your skin, preventing it from getting dry and dehydrated. There are moisturizers of all different strengths, from light to ultra-rich. You’ll want to take your skin’s dryness and the climate where you live into account when choosing a moisturizer. Medications can play a role in this too. For instance, if you’re on Accutane, you’ll likely need the richest moisturizer you can get your hands on.
- How SPF works depends on the type of SPF you get. Mineral SPFs form a physical barrier on top of your skin, reflecting UVA and UVB rays away. This is why so many mineral SPFs have a white cast, may feel sticky, and may not work the best with makeup – and why they’re better for anti-aging. Chemical SPFs work by absorbing into your skin, converting UV rays into heat, and then releasing said heat from your body.
The only skincare ingredients you technically need are a cleanser, moisturizer, and SPF of at least 30. But different products can certainly be beneficial, which is where facials come into play. If you ever have any questions about the ideal skincare products for you, don’t hesitate to ask your dermatologist for personalized advice.
Why Should You Get Facials?
Facials are treatments that can improve both your skin’s health and appearance. A professional deep-cleans your skin, getting rid of any debris, and then applying products to address specific concerns. Depending on your skin, you may benefit from one type of facial over another. For example, if you have dry skin, you may love a HydraFacial.
Bear in mind that it’s important to see an experienced professional if you want to get a facial that works. Some people don’t see a difference after getting a facial or some people may claim facials can do things that they can’t, like cleanse your liver.
Facials can immediately improve the appearance of your skin, which is great if you have an event to go to or just want to treat yourself. They can help with acne scars, wrinkle reduction, unclogging your pores, and more, making your everyday skincare routine more effective.
How Do Facials Work?
Facials are like skincare, but better, because they’re done by professionals with professional-grade products. Facials typically include treatments like massages, steam, pimple extraction, and more, in order to immediately improve the appearance of your skin.
Do You Want To Schedule A Facial?
Intermountain Aesthetics offers multiple different facials, in addition to our other aesthetics services. We provide HydraFacials, dermaplaning, teen facials, and extractions and booster serums as add-ons to your facial. Our services beyond facials include: laser hair removal, laser spot removal, Botox and dermal fillers, chemical peels, MicroPen, platelet-rich plasma (PRP), and acne treatment and age prevention.
Contact us today to learn more about our facials or other aesthetic services or to schedule an appointment. We’re here to help you feel confident in your skin.